How to apply SMED to cleanouts, product changes, maintenance outages, and many more.
We also have a chemicals specific version of this course - Changeover Reduction for Chemical Plants
- What is Changeover Reduction – the business case and benefits
- The standard approach for Changeover Reduction
- Internal and external activities
- Value added and non-value added activities
- Common time saving techniques
- Industry specific techniques and approaches
- How to capture & analyse activities too long to video
- Running a Changeover activity
- Sustaining the improvements, driving further improvements
A full set of hardcopy slides and handouts are provided
Why Change Over Reduction?
Changeover Reduction is about reducing the amount of time taken to undertake activities that typically interrupt production.
The tool is frequently referred to as SMED (single minute exchange of dies) and originates in the automotive industry. However, the principles are applicable to a myriad of situations beyond the original automotive press scenarios.
Our trainer has over fifteen years’ experience of successfully applying Changeover Reduction delivering up to 6 and 7 figure benefits for clients through increased production run times, smaller economic batch sizes, reduced inventory, shorter lead times and increased flexibility. This course makes available to delegates this accumulated experience and knowledge.
Applications and benefits of Changeover Reduction include:
- Increased production time by reducing the outage durations for activities such as
- Product changeovers
- Plant breakdowns
- Plant turnarounds
- Project implementations
- Reduced inventory/ increased stock turns through smaller economic batch sizes due to reduced product changeover times
Throughout the course case studies taken from over a decade and a half of implementing Changeover Reduction activities will be used to illustrate its application in different scenarios, along with top tips in how to address different challenges and difficulties that will be encountered.